We rely on local people to support us to raise money to carry out our work. We’re really grateful for all the support we receive from the local community.Whether you want to develop your skills or support a cause you care about, you can expect to have lots of fun and meet some great people through volunteering.
Wellbeing Volunteer Opportunities
Hexham (Wednesday 1-3pm)
- Do you understand the issues faced by people with poor mental health & wellbeing?
- Are you passionate about enabling people to move forward?
- Do you have good listening skills?
Our Wellbeing Projects offer essential support to adults who are experiencing problems with their mental health and emotional wellbeing. We provide a diverse range of services and support to meet the needs of people in all stages of their recovery. The mix of facilitated groups, peer led groups and one-to-one support help reduce social isolation and give people the opportunity to openly discuss and share experiences in an environment they feel comfortable with. Our range of wellbeing sessions, workshops & social activities give people the chance to learn skills and techniques that can help improve mental health and wellbeing and give people the skills to deal more effectively with life’s ups and downs.
As a volunteer in our Wellbeing projects, you will assist our Wellbeing Team in ensuring the smooth and effective running of the activity and supporting the people who access the service.
- Assist the Wellbeing Workers in the effective delivery of our Wellbeing activities.
- Befriend people who access our services and welcome new people.
- Work with clients to help them achieve their personal wellbeing goals and encourage the philosophy of self-help.
- Assist the Wellbeing Team in the completion of paperwork as required
- Signpost people to external services to access additional support or for advice with key issues, e.g. housing, volunteering, etc.
- Support Wellbeing Workers with organising and implementing a programme of activities in the group.
- Report/discuss any concerns regarding the client’s mental health with the Wellbeing Workers.
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect and encourage others to act in a way that supports equality and diversity.
- Ensure that client confidentiality is protected at all times.
Skills and experience
- An awareness and understanding of mental health issues
- Personal experience of mental ill health either as a service user or carer.
- Experience of working in a mental health setting, qualifications in, or studying for a mental health related subject (e.g. Psychology)
- Ability to build effective and supportive relationships with clients whilst maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to empathise with clients and encourage and support them to move forward in their recovery.
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Understanding of and adherence to equal opportunities, confidentiality and safeguarding policies.
What’s in it for you?
- You will receive initial training and ongoing support and development to help you understand and carry out this role.
- We will reimburse your out of pocket expenses. (Please be aware that we only have a limited budget and would be looking for people to volunteer who live in the close vicinity of our groups)
- Volunteering can help you learn new skills and gain valuable experience that can take you further in your future career.
- Volunteering can boost your self-confidence, self-esteem, and life satisfaction.
- You can have a positive effect on people and make a difference.
To apply for this role, please complete a volunteer application form & send to:
Tyneside & Northumberland Mind, Wellbeing Centre, Dunsmuir Grove, Gateshead. NE8 4QL
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org